Debut’s Maintenance Technician will be responsible for installation, calibrations, repairs, and preventive maintenance of electronic, electro-mechanical, and/or mechanical instrumentation of all lab and pilot scale equipment at Debut Biotechnology. This is a very collaborative role, working with scientists and engineers to ensure that our equipment and systems are operating safely and at maximum efficiency. The Maintenance Technician will coordinate with our production teams and Laboratory Management to ensure capital equipment uptime is maximized, maintenance budgets are optimized, and research capability needs are met.
- Perform preventative maintenance procedures on critical pieces of equipment including fermenters, steam generators, chillers, air compressors, centrifuges, and autoclaves.
- Maintain organization and inventory of equipment, spare parts, and preventative maintenance schedules for laboratory equipment using a CMMS.
- Troubleshoot issues with equipment and execute corrective actions to decrease downtime and increase operational capacity as much as possible.
- Install and perform start-up procedures for new equipment added to the laboratory.
- Communicate with team members across the laboratory to understand team needs and provide troubleshooting and maintenance services.
- Order spare parts and replacement equipment as necessary.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years’ experience as a technician in equipment maintenance preferred. Experience in life sciences or brewing industries a strong plus.
- Experience in maintenance and rebuilding of valves, mechanical seals, pumps, boilers, chillers, compressors, fermenters, and similar equipment and machinery is preferred.
- Has proven experience in maintenance housekeeping procedures including maintaining spare parts inventory and equipment, ordering supplies, and maintaining a clean and safe laboratory environment.
- Experience using a CMMS is preferred.
- Ability to plan and schedule preventative and corrective maintenance tasks effectively, aligning with management on prioritization.
- Experience with PLC controlled systems (troubleshooting, programming) is a plus.
- Demonstrated aptitude in EH&S regulations and requirements for laboratory and equipment safety, including LOTO, job hazard analysis, and proper PPE.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively deal with a diverse workforce.
- Strong communication skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Essential Physical Characteristics
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.
- Continuous upward and downward flexion of the neck.
- Frequent: sitting, repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers and copiers.
- Frequently uses hands to feel objects or control tools (e.g. pipetting). Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- Occasional: walking, standing, climbing stairs, bending and twisting of neck, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder level, and occasional lifting and carrying of files or material weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
Condition of Employment
As part of Debut’s pre-employment process, prospective candidates will undergo a background check prior to beginning employment. Additional types of background investigations may be conducted based on the job-related activities of the position.
Debut is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Pay Range: $28.85 - $38.46