Director, Corporate Controller
Debut is the unconventional innovation lab spearheading the next generation of big business. Only Debut has a scalable, integrated, climate-positive creation model powered by biotechnology that puts human wellbeing at the center of everything we do—setting the new standard for profitable business and a new pace for an ever-changing world. Our hybrid biotechnology approaches unlock latent markets, providing access to sustainably produced, natural ingredients with health benefits that cannot be obtained through other methods. We are committed to traversing the entire process, from ingredient discovery to the scaling of these products, for consumer markets. If you are passionate, enjoy fast-paced innovation and collaborative teams, then Debut is for you.
Summary of Role:
The Corporate Controller will oversee the accounting strategy and manage the accounting function. This role will report to the CEO but work very closely with the operations function of the company. A successful candidate will have an enthusiastic entrepreneurial work ethic. This role will manage and supervise all aspects of accounting from month end close to tax compliance. This person will work closely with senior leaders across the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of accounting: billing, financial statements, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, tax compliance, revenue recognition, and various special analyses
- Perform accounting functions related to month, quarter and year end close
- Maintain documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Develop internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning as needed
- Oversee AR/AP to ensure all customer/vendor accounts are current and oversee accounting for debts, loans and other non-routine transactions
- Monitor cash and funding balances ensuring company assets are safeguarded
- Keep an organized filing system of all accounts, statements, transactions, payments, and debts
- Prepare and organize financial statements for record and review
- Organize information and statements for internal and external audits/auditors
- Ensure that Debut complies with all legal and regulatory requirements including local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting
- Responsible for recognition of the monthly stock compensation expense
- All other duties as assigned or necessary
- 10+ years of combined experience as an accountant, accounting manager, and/or controller.
- Ideal candidate has working experience with QuickBooks, Great Plains, NetSuite or similar ERP system
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced knowledge of accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
- Excellent computer skills; experience in accounting software (listed above) and Microsoft Office Suite
- Highly adaptable and independent
- Thrive in a start-up, rapidly growing company environment
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, great computer skills
- Take initiative and have a growth mindset
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA preferred; MBA preferred.
Travel Required: 0-10%
- As a critical and essential role, the candidate must be willing and able to travel to the San Diego, CA office to report to work. We have protocols in place to provide a safe, socially distanced work environment.
Salary Range: $160 – 175k