Debut is the unconventional innovation lab spearheading the next generation of big business. Only Debut has a scalable, integrated, climate-positive creation model powered by biotechnology that puts human wellbeing at the center of everything we do—setting the new standard for profitable business and a new pace for an ever-changing world. Our hybrid biotechnology approaches unlock latent markets, providing access to sustainably produced, natural ingredients with health benefits that cannot be obtained through other methods. We are committed to traversing the entire process, from ingredient discovery to the scaling of these products, for consumer markets. If you are passionate, enjoy fast-paced innovation and collaborative teams, then Debut is for you.
Research Associate, Fermentation
Debut Biotechnology is seeking a Research Associate to aid in microbial fermentation processes for small molecule production. This individual should be versed in fermentation science and have a basic understanding of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism, and biosynthetic pathways. The ideal candidate would be an energetic, adaptive, creative, and highly self-motivated individual who enjoys undertaking complex challenges both individually and as part of a team. The successful candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, chemists, and engineers and will be directly responsible for bench-scale bioreactor operation and small molecule product analysis. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are essential due to the highly collaborative nature of the position.
- Design and execution of fermentation experiments across multiple volumes
- Optimization of fermentation operations by controlling numerous parameters
- Maintenance of bench-scale bioreactors
- Preparation of media, buffers, and chemical solutions
- Product sampling and chemical/microbiological analysis
- Bioreactor and laboratory material cleaning and sterilization
- Data processing and statistical analysis to maximize understanding of strain performance
- High throughput experiment optimization across multiple reaction volumes
- Evening/nights and weekend work may be required on occasions
- BS in biotechnology, microbiology, or fermentation with a minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience and 1 year in molecular biology preferred
- Attention to detail and meticulous record keeping
- Intermediate/advanced Excel skills
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects
- Experience with small molecule fermentation via genetically engineered organisms is a plus
- Experience using statistical software to analyze large datasets is a plus
- Experience understanding and running advanced experimental designs is a plus
- Experience interpreting fermentation’s product and byproduct results is a plus
Essential Physical Characteristics:
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Walking, standing, bending and twisting of neck, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder level, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Frequently uses hands to feel objects or control tools (e.g. pipetting)
- Occasional lifting/ moving of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Sitting, repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers and copiers.
- Continuous upward and downward flexion of the neck.
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts, vibration and/or moderate noise levels.
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals or other materials.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends.
Condition of Employment:
As part of Debut’s pre-employment process, prospective candidates will undergo a background check prior to beginning employment. Additional types of background investigations may be conducted based on the job-related activities of the position.
Debut is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Pay Range: $26.44-36.06/ hourly
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Target Bonus
- Monday to Friday with occasional weekends
This position is required to be onsite: 11545 Sorrento Valley Rd. Ste. 310 San Diego, CA 92121