As our Pilot Supervisor you will be responsible for supervising operators, and safely overseeing and conducting Pilot operations in our new Pilot laboratory, which comprises microbial fermentation and downstream processing unit operations for production of enzymes and polyphenols. Your duties will include onboarding equipment, personnel and capabilities to meet business requirements, as well as authorship and adherence to Pilot SOPs. This role will coordinate with other Pilot staff, management and R&D to keep Piloting targets on track. The Pilot Supervisor will coordinate with our production teams to ensure capital equipment, supplies, and safety protocols are in place to meet the demands of our production requirements at the San Diego location.
- BS degree with 4+ years’ experience in an industrial biotechnology setting
- Experience in conducting microbial fermentations required; experience with stainless steel fermentors capable of steam-in-place is a plus
- Understands microbial cell growth, media requirements, contamination issues, and fermentation
- Has a knowledge of EH&S regulations and requirements for laboratory and pilot safety
- Experience and aptitude in downstream process unit operations such as centrifugation and tangential flow filtration
- Experience and aptitude for management of pilot personnel with regards to experimental direction, time management, and safety issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively deal with a diverse workforce
- Strong communication skills for presentations, written reports, and laboratory training
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To learn more about Debut, please see:
DIC, Debut Biotech Team Up to Develop and Bio-Manufacture Natural Pigments for More Sustainable Food Colorants and Cosmetics: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210728005386/en/DIC-Debut-Biotech-Team-Up-to-Develop-and-Bio-Manufacture-Natural-Pigments-for-More-Sustainable-Food-Colorants-and-Cosmetics
DSM Agrees to Evaluate Debut’s Scalable Cell-Free Manufacturing Platform (Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News): https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/dsm-agrees-to-evaluate-debut-biotechs-scalable-cell-free-manufacturing-platform/
Next gen cell-free biomanufacturing could unlock opportunities to synthesize natural ingredients (Food Navigator-USA): https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2021/03/23/Next-gen-cell-free-biomanufacturing-could-unlock-opportunities-to-biosynthesize-far-wider-set-of-natural-ingredients-claims-startup
Company website: https://debutbiotech.com